this episode was basically a “Dalek” parallel (WITH SO MANY VAGUE ROSE REFERENCES I CANNOT)
- both the dalek and the ice warrior were (or thought they were) the last of their kind
- they were both chained up as prisoners of humans
- Clara and Rose both went in to talk to the dalek/ice warrior alone and ended up having a lasting impression
- aka Rose/Clara taught the dalek/ice warrior compassion
- Clara sang “Hungry like the WOLF” (bad wolf)
- when the Doctor and Clara hugged at the end it was reminiscent of the Doctor/Rose hugs of yore
I think the writers are trying to remind the fans without directly telling us that there’s a connection. That said, so many of us are looking for it and it feels so obvious. I’m going to be incredibly disappointed if all of these references and parallels amount to nothing. I’m also going to be VERY SURPRISED if there’s no actual link between Clara and Rose.
The thing is that writers choose EVERY SINGLE WORD for a reason. They chose “Hungry like the Wolf” when they could have chosen ANY OTHER SONG from that era. Why? Because it’s a vague reference to the Bad Wolf? Or just because it happened to be in Gatiss’s head as he was writing the episode? I don’t know yet and it’s exciting/confusing/frustrating me.
30 days of Who ¦ 02. Favorite female companion
↪ Rose Tyler
I take the words... I scatter them, in time and space. A message, to lead myself here.